Normal White Blood Cell Count
When you stop smoking, your body will begin to repair from the damages of smoking. This means that eventually your white blood cell count will return to normal.
Lower Cancer Risk
Quitting smoking will prevent damage to your DNA from happening and can help fix the damage that has happened to your lungs and throat. Quitting smoking as soon as possible is the best way to lower the risk of getting cancer.
Decreased Heart Risks
Smoking is the leading cause of heart disease, heart attacks and strokes. Quitting smoking can lower your heart rate and blood pressure almost instantaneously. Each day you go without a cigarette, you decrease your chance of a heart attack.
Another benefit from stopping smoking is that your blood will become thinner, meaning it is less likely to form dangerous blood clots. Your heart will also be able to pump blood around your body easier.
If you quit smoking you can’t get rid of the fat that is already in your gut. However, you can lower the level of cholesterol and fats circulating in your blood, which helps to slow the build-up of future fatty deposits in your arteries.
Stronger Immune System
Quitting smoking means your immune system is no longer exposed to dangerous chemicals such as nicotine and tar. This will strengthen your immune system, meaning you are less likely to fall ill.
Giving up smoking will help preserve your overall vision by stopping the damage that smoking does when smoke gets into your eyes. It will also help improve your night vision.
Quitting smoking helps with oxidisation in your blood meaning your muscles will become stronger and healthier.
Quitting smoking can also reduce your risk of fractures at present and later in life when you are considered vulnerable.
- Enjoying the taste of food more as your taste-buds no longer have tar on them.
- Your breathing and general fitness will improve as you give your lungs the break they needed.
- The appearance of your skin and teeth will improve as there are no chemicals going into your body that can cause yellowing of the skin and teeth.
- You won’t smell of smoke anymore.
- You will become more fertile when stopping smoking, meaning you have a higher chance of having a health pregnancy and as a result, healthy baby.
- And of course, you can save money. Use the NHS Cost Calculator to find out how much you could save.